Gift cards in SMRT works like most gift cards systems. A customer can buy a gift card in SMRT; the CSR would enter an amount and scan the unique gift card barcode. The gift card order can then be paid like any other order in SMRT. Then, another (or the same..) customer in and use the gift card for (partial) payment of their order. The gift card can also be transfered to account credit if the customer wants to use it during drop of instead of pickup.
This article covers manufacturing of cards, setup of cards in SMRT, loading of a card and lastly, redeeming a loaded card.
Manufacturing of Cards
If you want SMRT to design and create your plastic gift cards, please contact our support team at email@example.com. You can also choose to work with your own card manufacturer. If so, make sure that every barcode is unique and random, preferably around 10 characters. Try an example barcode in SMRT to make sure it scans before having them all created.
Gift Card Setup
To enable use of gift cards within SMRT, you need to add a special item type.
This is all you have to do to configure the gift card system in SMRT, and the steps are outlined below
1. Click on the Admin button on the top right corner of the screen
2. Select Detailing & Pricing from the left hand menu --> Item Types. Click '+ Add New':
3. Enter a gift card name. --> Select the Retail category. --> Optionally change department and the describing image.
4. Click the "Is Gift Card" box that appears. --> Save the gift card by pressing "+ ADD".
5. The gift card now exists and will show up under the Retail tab in the order box. Navigate back to the POS to verify that it's there.
Loading a Gift Card
1. When a customer wishes to purchase a gift card, press New Order and go to the Retail tab. Now, press "Add" next to the gift card in the list of retail items types to the left.
2. Now scan the barcode present on a new, previously unused gift card, in the barcode field to the right:
3. It is possible to fill several gift cards at once. Once you're done, press "Create" to create the order.
4. An order with the gift cards is created and can be paid as usual. The gift cards can be used at once to add credit to any account.
Redeeming a Gift Card
1. To Redeem a gift card, there are two options. The most common use case is to pay off an order ready for pickup. In the Payment box, press the blue "Claim Gift Card" as shown below. You can also convert a gift card to account credit, to be used for a future order. Go to the payment tab and press "Add Credit", after which you select gift card.
2. Regardless of whether you're using the gift card as a payment method, or converting it to account credit, you're shown the same prompt asking you to scan the gift card:
13. Once scanned, you're shown the balance on the card. You can redeem the full or a partial amount. Lastly, click "Redeem" to finish redeeming the card.